Friday 1 January 2016

Personal | 2015 Reflections










I have umm'ed and ahh'ed over whether to write this post, as lets face it my blog has been very neglected. This is due to time and commitments in other areas of my life but also lack of inspiration on what to post. I have written this blog post about 3 times now... and I thought I made a decision to skip writing a reflections post of the year. However I also reminded myself how much I love to read the past year's reflections to remind myself of where I have been and how I have grown as a person.

So here we go again... third time lucky!

The reason I was hesitant in writing this post is due to 2015 not being the best of years. I mean there has been some major highs (which I will get to in a minute) but also some super lows. I have had friends wonder where I have got to as I have kind of taken a step back. Not due to not wanting to spend time with them, but due to the fact that I have had to prioritise what is needed and important and this year it was spending time with family.

For those of you who don't know my family has been surrounded by Cancer. I have pretty much grown up with it surrounding mine and my families life. I think the first time I felt it's presence was when I was about 13/14 when my mum was first diagnosed with Cancer. Ever since then it has hit many members of my close family whilst I have looked at a distance. I have seen how my family has tried to cope with each blow and it amazes me at the strength that they all hold. I say this, as its no secret that I am the BIGGEST wimp when it comes to needles, blood or anything to do with hospitals, so I have the biggest respect for anyone that is going through it. I think I make them all laugh at my shudders especially when a drip is involved (Vom!!!).

So it came as an absolute blow to my whole family in July to hear my mum's cancer had come back after a 10 year break and it was here to stay. I was actually on holiday in Morocco when my mum told me and this time felt different, as to hear she would never be able to get rid of it is a hard thing to take in. It was one of those moments when I felt the world changed in an instant. Devastation is the word that sums it up. I am devastated for my mum, she had already fought many battles of cancer it just seemed ridiculously unfair it has returned. I would never wish cancer upon anyone else however there was a moment when I thought... why can't it go and bother someone else's family as we have had so much more than our fair share but then I know that isn't how it works.
There is nothing like cancer to remind you of what is important in life. My mum's strength and courage amazes us all each day as she undergoes chemotherapy. I don't know how she does it, but she does and we all love her very much so for it.

However to balance this major blow, is the best thing to happen in 2015. We had a huge blessing in our family with a new addition, my beautiful nephew Travis. He has brought so much love and laughter to our family at a time when we needed it most. He is most beautiful baby boy I have ever met and his smiles are the best thing ever. The joy he brings to our family is insane... and he brought our family even more closer together.

Also with all this going on, we have found out who our true friends our. The love, support and understanding we get from them is amazing and this year would of been very different if our friends were not involved. Also to new friendships... we have lived in Falmouth now for over a year and we have never felt so settled before. We have been made to feel so welcome by so many people and we have both made some amazing new life-long friends. We are currently on the hunt for our first home and although we have been out-bid on two houses we are not losing hope. We know the perfect home is out there!

There have been some other big positives for the year too, in regards to my business Sincerely May. This year has been a challenge in trying to learn how to balance a full time job alongside running a business that is growing every day. I wrote a list at the start of 2015, and I over achieved everything that was on the list. I could never of predicted what Sincerely May would become! I have so much gratitude to the couples and suppliers that I work with, as I would not be in the position that I am in now, without them. Don't get me wrong, it has not been easy... working late into every evening after a long day at work and working most weekends. I have learnt some hard lesson's along the way but when I look back at what I have achieved, it makes it all so very worth it. I am so thankful for all the love and support I get from my family, especially that husband of mine. He has helped me grow my business to where it is. He is head of post office runs, envelope lining, photo taking and tea-making. I really couldn't do it without him!!

We didn't get to travel as much as we wanted to this year due to Sincerely May taking up all my free time, however when we did, we made it worth it! The highlight trip for me, has to be Isle of Skye. I had been wanting to visit Isle of Skye for many years, and I am so glad we did. It is my happy place. I have never seen so much beauty before, and that is saying something as I have seen a fair bit of this world. To think its right on our doorstep is crazy, as it felt like a different world! If you ever get a chance to visit, then you must go! You really won't regret it.

Also this year has been turning my hands to new skills. Earlier on in the year, I tried my hand at letter-pressing in Bristol. It has been something I have wanted to try for such a long time and it ignited my love and respect into this art form. I wish I had the space to buy my own press, maybe one day we will! I also tried my hand at wreath making with my mum which has been on the list of things I wanted to do for a while. It was such good fun and we made some beautiful wreaths for our front doors.

I am looking forward to 2016 even though there are some major hurdles in the way, I still feel there are some exciting things planned.

So here are my intentions for 2016:
  • Keep spending more quality time with my family.
  • Keep growing Sincerely May. I have lots of exciting projects lined up which I can't wait to share with you.
  • Live more in the moment and try not to sweat the small stuff.
  • See more of this world we are living in whether this is more city breaks, or road trips! Who knows but I want and need to see more of this world.
  • Be more mindful and kind to myself by doing more of the things I love. Yoga, reading and just sitting on the sofa watching TV with my husband and not being tucked away in the studio.
  • Declutter my wardrobe the amount of clothing I have vs the amount of clothing I actually wear needs to be reviewed!
  • Stepping away more from social media. Running a business means I need to be on these platforms but more so on a personal level. I have taken a step back from Facebook slightly but I feel I can do more of this. 
  • Drink more water - this might be my trickiest intention...
  • Find a house to buy - we have been looking for the past 5/6 months and put in offers on 2 properties to be outbid. We are hoping by Christmas next year we will be in our own home.
Happy new year to you all!!!


3 comments :