Friday 20 January 2012

TalentHouse: Secret 7" Ben Howard Entry


I thought I would show you my entry for the 'Ben Howard -Secret 7" project in aid of Teenage Cancer Trust. Talent House invited creatives to design artwork for a seven inch vinyl sleeve inspired by one of the artists song. These artists include Florence & The Machine, The Cure, DJ Shadow, Noah and The Whale and Bombay Bicycle club.

I decided to choose Ben Howard, as not only am I huge fan, but the song they selected from his album 'Black Flies' is one of my favourites. They will choose 45 designs for each artist, which will then be displayed in a gallery in London, which will then be available to purchase with all the profits going to Teenage Cancer Trust.

The only rule as such, was not to include any text relating to the song, or the artist. As none of the buyers at the gallery will know who created the sleeve, or even which song it's for, until they are holding it in their hands!! Sounds pretty exciting to me!!

I had a few ideas, but I settled on this one, due to the way I translated the song (with the help of Alex giving his translations). I wanted to give across quite a natural organic feel, as that's what comes naturally to me, so kept it simple with keeping it just to a pencil sketch. I included a small black fly tattoo on the wrists... I enjoyed creating this piece, as I normally create 'fashion' illustrations, so this was a nice change, to interpret a song that I love. I would love the opportunity to see this on a vinyl, as it would be a huge achievement for me. I can only cross my fingers that who ever chooses like's and understands what I was trying to get across.

Voting starts at 6pm tonight, and even though votes don't automatically make you into the 45, it does supposedly help, and would love to know what you think of it! I have included the video of Ben Howard singing the song acoustically below, and if you have not heard of him before, you should check him out!

Vote for me here!

No comments :

Post a Comment